Program Resources and Updates
The College has provided a number of updates and produced a number of resources to promote the AIMS Program and to support pharmacies and pharmacy professionals as they onboard and integrate this important medication safety and quality assurance program in pharmacy operations. These resources will be updated frequently so please check back often.
FAQ about the Program
These have been prepared to support overall awareness about the program, its goal, background and our progress to date as the College moves forward with province-wide implementation of the program to all 4,300 community pharmacies in the province. The FAQs will be frequently updated.
Operational FAQs for Pharmacies and Professionals
These have been prepared to support pharmacies and pharmacy professionals with the operational implementation of the AIMS Program and onboarding to the incident recording platform managed by Pharmapod. These FAQs will be frequently updated throughout the implementation phase of the program.
- November 1, 2018 - AIMS News Release, AIMS Fact Sheet, AIMS Backgrounder and AIMS Provincial Rollout FAQ
- June 11, 2018 - Video – OCP’S Medication Safety Program
- May 28, 2018 - Preparing for Ontario's Medication Safety Program (Pharmacy Connection, Spring 2018)
- May 28, 2018 - Frequently Asked Questions Now Posted
- February 15, 2018 - Moving Ontario's Medication Safety Program Forward
- October 26, 2017 - Ontario College of Pharmacists selects Pharmapod to implement medication error reporting system for Ontario pharmacies
- June 21, 2017 - Council Approves Implementation of the Continuous Quality Assurance Program for Medication Safety
- March 30, 2017 - Statement from the College on Continuous Quality Assurance for Medication Safety
Pharmacy Connection Articles
The College has produced a series of Pharmacy Connection articles on the medication safety program and its related components. Check out the latest articles listed below:
- Recording a Near Miss
- AIMS Program On Track To Be Fully Rolled Out by Mid-2019
- Moving Forward: Medication Safety Program Rolls Out to All Community Pharmacies in Ontario
- Safe Pharmacies Need Psychological Safety
- Building Momentum: Ambassador Pharmacies Pave The Way for Medication Safety
- Preparing for Ontario’s Medication Safety Program
- Towards a Safer System: An Interview with Patient Advocate Melissa Sheldrick
- A Continuous Quality Assurance Program for Medication Safety
- Reporting Adverse Reactions to Vaccines and Medications
- Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI): An Essential Constituent of Patient/Medication Safety
Background and Briefing Notes
Here will find additional information about the program including the College’s journey in the development of the program in Ontario including Council decisions and briefing notes and previous public consultation.
- Council Briefing Note. Meeting Date: March 2017
- June 2017 Council Meeting Materials
- September 2017 Council Meeting Materials
- Implementation of Continuous Quality Assurance for Medication Safety
About the AIMS logo
A new visual identity the College’s medication safety program, Assurance and Improvement in Medication Safety (AIMS) Program includes subtle references to the four aims of the program: Recording, documenting, analyzing, and sharing. The first and last letters, with a stylized treatment in colour, are a tribute to Andrew Sheldrick whose tragic passing has brought important public and professional attention to the need for medication error reporting in pharmacies throughout the country.